Friday, September 9, 2011

Knox Timothy

      Today Knox is three months! I know should be filling everyone in on what he has been doing over these past couple of months, and I will, but first I wanted to share with everyone his birth story. You can't start a story in the middle, you must first start at the very beginning. This story is one I hold closest to my heart. So here you are, my pregnancy and his birth story all rolled into one.
  
     It has been almost a year since I found out I was pregnant. I will never forget that day as long as I live. Before I go into detail about it, I must mention that earlier that I year I had a miscarriage. It was a beautifully, tragic experience but it made this particular day all the more special. Some women have signs that they are pregnant and others don't. Me, I just knew! I was only a few days late and there were no other symptoms but I just knew. I couldn't wait any longer to take a test, so while out grocery shopping for the people I nannied I picked up a test. As I was waiting for the results I got down on my knees and asked God to give me peace no matter what that stick said. Finally I the nerve to look at it. I saw "PREGNANT" staring back at me! I broke down and cried! I felt so honored that God would choose me to carry a child. Immediately I sent Tyler a picture of the results and called everyone. I was too excited to wait!

     It was your typical pregnancy, I was sick 24/7 from week 6 all the way through week 17! You can imagine my disappointment when the holidays came around and I was too sick to enjoy all those yummy foods. (You better believe I will be making up for it this year!) The only food that did not make me want to throw up all over the place was McDonalds vanilla ice cream. I didn't care that it was 9am and I was asking for ice cream, I NEEDED it. Moving into the second trimester things got back to normal and I was able to really enjoy being pregnant. We suprised everyone by finding out the sex of the baby early and gave it as a Christmas gift. We all wanted a boy so bad and were extremely blessed to have our prayers answered. As the third trimester rolled around I began to get rather large and knew Knox was not going to be a small baby. I first felt him move round week 19 and from that day he has never stopped wiggling. I felt him every single day kicking my insides, and as we got closer to the due date and the punches got stronger I was ready to get him out of me!

   I thought, debated, prayed, and stressed over who I should use to deliver Knox! I had been seeing a doctor but was unsure if I wanted to use him or a midwife. Every time I came to him with questions or specific instructions on how I wanted my delivery to go he had all the right answers.  I did not want to be induced unless there was a serious issue. I wanted to wait until Knox was ready to enter the world. So when my due date came and went I started to worry. My doctor was very patient and respected my wishes, but I had some family members who thought I should be induced because there were certain dates that didn't work for them. As if I didn't want to meet my son or finally know what it was like to tie my shoes again, I was getting the unnessicary pressure from others. I tried every option you could think of to try and induce labor. I did a lot of research and finally decided to try acupuncture induction. It was a much less invasive way to induce labor, than going to the hospital and doing it. I had an appointment scheduled for Wednesday evening on the 8th of June! After I made that appointment on Tuesday evening I could finally relax! Tyler and I had a fun, relaxing evening at home. We played mario kart and told silly jokes. I also had a doctor appointment scheduled for the morning of the 8th. I went to bed peacefully knowing I would soon meet this person growing inside my belly. Only I didn't realize how soon!

    I woke up at 1:30am on June the 8th in labor! At first I thought I was dreaming about having contractions, but then I started really feeling them. Holy cow! They were so strong and unlike anything I had felt before. I quietly crept into our living. I wanted to be sure this was it because we had false alarms before. And the contractions just kept coming. I was reading a really good book and it distracted me for awhile until I couldn't ignore it anymore, this was the real thing. I went back into our room, woke up Tyler, and started getting ready for the hospital.

     We got there and I was only dialated 2 cm. Sadly I had REALLY high blood pressure, so they ushered me into a room and broke my water (looking back, I wouldn't have them do that). My original plan was to go all natural, and by letting them break my water it caused the contractions to come super quick and really intense. I was progressing really nice on my own, but after the first 12 hours of labor I had to tap out!. Tyler and our doula, Cindy, did such an amazing job comforting me and doing whatever I needed them to do. I was able to lean on Tyler, literally and figuratively, for those amazing 12 hours. Yes, the labor was painful, but worse than that I was SO tired. Only have gotten 3 hours of sleep I wanted rest but I couldn't. So, I got an epidural, and honestly I don't regret it. It allowed me the rest I needed to push for 2 1/2 hours!

    So here we are, the grand finale of our story. I wanted to push for as little time as possible so I let my epidural wear off. I started pushing at 11:45pm and to my suprise we learned Knox was turned face up! Not only that but all those contractions from earlier that day didn't push him down the birth canal at all! I had to start from square one. Finally after those exausting 2 1/2 hours Knox Timothy entered into the world. As soon as he was out, I shouted, " I did it! I really did it!" The moment they placed him in my arms was more than words can say. It was unbelievable.

    From that day forward our lives have never been the same in the best way possible. I have loved every moment with our son. He is really the best baby any mom could ask for. He rarely fusses and always smiles. Knox Timothy Recker, I love you more than books, salty foods, or Harry Potter. HA!

4 comments:

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Such an awesome story! Knox is so cute. I love that photo!

Heather said...

wow. even more than harry potter?! that's quite an accomplishment, knox! ;-) beautifully written, leah. love y'all!

Ashley said...

I only hope that I get to meet this little guy one day before he is all grown up! I remember following your progression(or not) during labor on facebook...and waiting....and waiting. He is a beautiful gift from God and I couldn't be happier for you!

Leah's World said...

Thank you ladies!

Ashley, if you are ever in Georgia we will have to get together! Miss you. Hope all is well with you :)

Post a Comment